Monday, December 26, 2011

Veggies and Biscuit Pot Pie

I saw a recipe on the internet for chickens and biscuits that looked scrumptious so I decided I would veganize it with my own twist and bring it to my family christmas dinner.  This is the kind of dish that you could throw pretty much anything into so be creative with this one.  I like my pot pies real classic as you can see in this recipe but I have been thinking about making a mushroom and leek pot pie... yummmmm.  I cooked my pot pie in the most excellent gift I have ever received, a beautiful yellow cast iron dutch oven from my bff Sally, that girl is the bomb diggety!

This is a great recipe to bring to a potluck or anything where you need to feed a large group.  I told a lot of my family it was vegan but I don't think most of them even noticed and they ate the shit out of it and loved it.  Glad I brought a veggie dish because the menu was... well lets just say very carniverous.  You can pretty much use any recipe for the biscuits or you can top with a pie crust or fillo dough.  I will post the recipe I used for biscuits from vegweb because it was pretty much a perfect biscuit.

Veggie and Biscuit Pot Pie

1 large onion diced
3-4 cloves garlic minced
3 tablespoons earth balance (or any other vegan butter)
3 tablespoons flour
1 1/2 cups vegetable stock
1/2 cup unsweetened milk alternative (soy, almond, rice etc...)
6 red potatoes chopped in 1/2 inch pieces
5 medium sized carrots sliced in thin circles
1 head of broccoli cut into 1/2 inch peices
1 cup of mushrooms sliced
salt and pepeper to taste
1 recipe for biscuits see below

Pre-heat oven to 375 degrees

1.  Saute onion and garlic on medium heat in an oven proof pan for 3-4 minutes until onions begin to soften.  Add the butter and flour and cook stirring constantly for a couple of minutes just until it begins to brown.  Then add the rest of the ingredients and bring to a boil and reduce to a simmer.  While the vegetables are beginning to cook and the gravy is beginning to thicken make the biscuits.

2.  It should take about 10-15 minutes to make the biscuits so once your done top the veggie and gravy mixture with the biscuits and place in the oven for 20-30 minutes until the biscuits are a golden brown on the top.  If you do not have an oven safe dish you can cook the veggies in any large pan and then place in the baking dish of your choice.

Note:  If the gravy seems a little to thick add more vegetable stock and if it seems to thin add some cornstarch.


Savory Biscuits

Ingredients (use vegan versions):

    2 tablespoons raw apple cider vinegar
    1 cup nondairy milk
    1-2/3 cups unbleached white flour
    1/3 cup nutritional yeast flakes
    5 teaspoons baking powder
    1 teaspoon dried herbs
    1 teaspoon salt
    5 tablespoons margarine

Directions:

1. Preheat oven to 450 degrees Fahrenheit.

2. Buttermilk: To a measuring cup, add apple cider vinegar. Add nondairy milk to fill the measuring cup to the 1 cup measurement line. Stir gently and let sit for a minute to curdle.

3. In a bowl, combine the flour, nutritional yeast flakes, baking powder, herbs, and salt. Cut the margarine into the flour mixture until mixture is crumbly. Add the “buttermilk” to the flour mixture and stir into a ball of dough.

4. On a lightly floured surface, roll the dough out to about 1 inch thick. Cut biscuits with a sharp cutter and place on lightly oiled cookie sheet.


Recipe courtesy of vegwebber Lezly, you can find the recipe here: http://vegweb.com/index.php?topic=16632.0

ENJOY!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment