Thursday, December 8, 2011

Spinach Mushroom Facon Quiche


I finally mustered up enough courage to do it, yes, I really did it, I made a vegan quiche!  I thought about it for an effing eternity but I finally did it and I do NOT regret it.  It was super easy because for Thanksgiving when I made my pecan pie I thought it would be ingenious to just whip together a couple of extra pie crusts... NOT!  Well I did it anyways because once you start something in the kitchen it is hard to turn your back on it especially when you are a cheap ass like me who doesn't like to waste anything.  So I used one of the pie crusts I had tucked away in the freezer, as you can see here:


I will leave the recipe at the bottom but a couple of quick tips on freezing pie crusts before I move on.  Once the pie crust is complete freeze them in the pan first, then remove them from the pan and place in ziplock freezer bag.  According to my research they should last in the freezer anywhere from 3-12 months, I know it's a wide range but this is what the internet told me.  

After doing some more internet research on how to cook a quiche (I do A LOT of internet research) I created what I thought would be the most delicious quiche in the world. 

And there it is, it came out effing rockin!  So Delish!  Here is the recipe, you can use this recipe for a homemade crust or any pre-made crust will also work:

Pie Crust:
1 1/2 cups flour
1/2 cup vegetable shortening
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 cup ice water

Filling:
1 small onion chopped
8 mushrooms sliced 
2 cloves minced garlic
1 1/2 cups spinach
6 peices of cooked facon chopped (don't forget to make a couple of extra strips to munch on, them shits are delish)
1 pound firm tofu
1/3 cup unsweetened milk alternative (I used soy)
1/3 cup nutritional yeast
1 tablespoon braggs liquid aminos or salt to taste if you do not have braggs
1/2 teaspoon tumeric for color
pepper to taste

1.  To prepare pie crust bring oven to 375 degrees.  Mix the salt with the flour and then cut the vegetable shortening into the flour mixture.  Once the mixture resembles the consistency of peas you are ready to mix in the ice water.  Mix the water in one tablespoon at a time just until the everything sticks together.  Form the dough into a ball and refrigerate for 30-60 minutes.  Once dough is done refrigerating, roll out to about 1/8 inch thick, place in pie pan and cook for about 12-15 minutes until just barely golden around the edges.

2.  While the crust is baking began to make the filling.  Saute onions on medium heat 4-5 minutes until they begin to become translucent (they don't need to be cooked all the way through since they will continue cooking in the oven) and then add in the mushrooms and garlic and cook until the mushrooms are just slightly browned.  To finish throw in the spinach and Facon and cook just until the spinach is wilted down.

3.  For the "egg" mixture place tofu, milk substitute, nutritional yeast, braggs, tumeric and pepper in a blender or food processor until tofu is a smooth consistency.  If your mixture is to thick to blend together add a little more milk just until it comes together.  Mix the cooked vegetables with the tofu mixture, place in the cooked pie crust and pop in the oven for 35-45 minutes.  Let cool for five minutes before eating.

Makes about 6 healthy sized slices of quiche. 

Note: I could probably eat the whole damn thing but I have a VERY healthy appetite and it's super yummy.

No comments:

Post a Comment