Tuesday, December 27, 2011

Raw Carrot Cupcakes with Cashew Cream Frosting

In spite of the normal disgraceful holiday binging I have been participating in I am still trying to gear up for my New Years raw food cleanse and juice fast which is why I came up with these delicious little suckers.  They are hella easy to make and hella easy to eat like ten of them so watch out.  I am slowly becoming obsessed with raw desserts which is awesome because they are healthy and uber easy, the only thing that sucks is I have like the tiniest food processor (if you gots a food processor laying around collecting dust holla).  Keep yourself posted because I will be pouring my heart out to the world throughout my cleanse and the remainder of my weight loss journey via vlog which should be interesting.

Raw Carrot Cupcakes

1 1/2 cups carrots finely shredded
2 cups raw walnuts
3/4 cups raisins (I used golden)
1/2 cup raw shredded coconut
1/4 cup agave
1 tablespoon melted coconut oil (coconut oil can be melted by putting the jar in a bowl of hot water)
1/2 teaspoon salt

1.  Blend walnuts in the food processor until a powder consistency forms then add raisins, coconut and salt and to food processor and mix until the raisins are blended in smoothly with all other ingredients.  Place the walnut mixture into a bowl and add carrots and agave and mix with your hands.  The cake can be formed into pretty much any shape.  I used an espresso cup lined with saran wrap to make mini-cupcake looking things.  Top with Cashew Cream Frosting...


Cashew Cream Frosting

1 cup raw cashews
1/4 cup agave
water
pinch of salt

1.  Place the cashews agave and salt in a blender and add water just until the cashews are covered and blend.  If mixture is too thick add water 1 tablespoon at a time until it easily blends.  Add to dessert of your choice.

5 comments:

  1. Just saw this great documentary promoting raw foods and I am sold. I guess I always knew the score but the doc really brought it home anyways, these cupcakes sound amazing and I want to make them tomorrow. I have one question though after you blend the walnuts do you just mix in the raisins, coconut, etc or do you blend them too ? I may just be reading it wrong !! Well I am looking forward to more raw recipes and hearing about the cleanse, good luck :)
    Johanna (shane's wifey )
    Link to the doc, you probably have already seen it :)
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=KmJme9yjLqU

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Johanna! I mixed them all separatley because my food processor is tiny but if you have a regular sized food processor you can just throw the raisins and coconut in and blend with the walnuts. The raisins will become creamy in the food processor and serve as a binder for the cake. I am still learning how to write out recipes, so thanks for the clarifying question I will see if I can make it more clear in my recipe. I will be cooking raw all week next week, you and Shane should come over for dinner one of the nights.

    I know I have seen the movie but I have seen so many damn food movies I can't remember which one it is. I will have to give it another view hopefully it will help me with my cleanse, thanks for the free link to it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey Jessica
    How goes the cleanse ? Hope its going well. I must catch up on the vlog, we were house sitting with no internet except my phone so I am out of touch a bit :) We would love to do dinner with you guys, let us know when suits and I could bring one of our favourite salads. Oh and I made the cupcakes they were really good, mine came out a little oily but still delicious. Think I put in more coconut oil than I should

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Girl, dinner sounds great, maybe sometime next week. In regards to the cupcakes if you over blend the nuts they will start to release oils and it was cause them to become oily. I will tweak the recipe to make sure this doesnt happen with others. <3 Vegan Beezie

      Delete
  4. These look amazing. I can't wait to try them. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete