Monday, July 2, 2012

Loquat Pie!

So we have this ginormous loquat tree in front of my house.  Loquat?  "What the fuck is that" you ask... Well... it's like an apricot but smaller and with a thicker skin and not as sweet.  Yeah, I know what you're thinking, "that sounds kinda nasty".  Well, really they are not that great on there own but if you cover them in sugar and wrap them in pastry dough, fucking excellent.  Which is why I made this beautiful pie:)

 This is not a beginner recipe like most of my recipes.  It took three effin hours to make bitches.  The shit took FOR-EV-ER.  Good thing I love everything about pie, I love the way it looks, the way it tastes, I love rolling out the dough and designing the crust and especially the way it smells in the oven, brings a smile to my face just thinking about it:)  Most of the time is spent pitting the loquats, those little bitches are a pain to pit but if you get in the zone it can be spiritual (yup, the "zone" is a spiritual place).  So if you have a ginormous loquat tree like me don't let those little bitches go to waste, make pie!

I know I keep saying I am going to blog more but I mean it this time.  My goal is to try to replace blogging with boys.  For those of you who haven't noticed I have a boy problem and it fucking sucks.  A beautiful girl can only take so many failed attempts before throwing her hands up and saying "Alrighty universe, I guess you get your way again!".  Yes, me and the universe talk and the universe is telling me to focus on myself, do what you love and love will find you.  And blogging my food is a joy I truly love:)  So lucky you, more delicious vegan recipes for free... and I will do my best slowing down and focusing on numero uno.  Thanks for listening and more importantly thanks for following my blog, it means a lot to me.

Here is the pie finally...

Loquat Pie Filling

6 cups of pitted loquats (I cut them in half them lightly squeeze out the pit)
1 cup of water
1 1/2 cups raw sugar
1/2 teaspoon vanilla
2 tablespoons flour
1/2 teaspoon salt

1. Place loquats and water in a medium saucepan and simmer for 15 minutes until fruit begins to soften.  Then add the rest of the ingredients, mix well and cook until sauce thickens.  While loquats are cooking begin making the crust.
Mix


The Crust

2 cups of flour
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/3 cup of vegan butter
1/3 cup of shortening
6-8 tablespoons of ice water

1.  Preheat oven to 375 degrees.  flour and salt in a bowl.  Then add the butter and shortening and cut into the flour with a pastry blender or fork until the mixture resembles small pea size pieces of flour and fat.  Add the water until the mixture comes together and knead a couple of times just to get everything to stick together.  Once it sticks together nicely, split it into two and roll them into two circles big enough for your pie pan.  I used a 10 inch pie crust.

2.  When crusts are done being rolled out place one in the bottom of the pie pan and cut the excess dough around the edges.  I use my kitchen sheers for this.  Then add the filling and cover with the top layer.  I made a lattice top and you can do that too if your fancy like me. Otherwise just top with the other crust, cut the extra around the edges and press the dough together.  Crimp the edges to your liking and place in the oven for 45-55 minutes until edges are golden brown.

Bonus Recipe!!!

Wondering what to do with that extra dough?  Make these tasty little appetizers...

Hot Dog Appetizer Thingies

Extra pie dough
veggie hot dog or sausage

Preheat oven to 475 degrees.  Roll dough out into a circle and cut it like a pizza to form pyramid like shapes. Roll the hot dogs up starting at the larger end of the pyramid up to the pointier end... if that makes sense.  Place on a baking sheet and bake for 10-15 minutes until golden brown.  Serve with mustard or whatever the fuck you want.  Enjoy!!!







No comments:

Post a Comment